2. What are the requirements to receive a band scholarship? Scholarship recipients must successfully complete a performance audition (instrumental, percussion, auxiliary), and possess and maintain the required minimum GPA. Scholarship recipients must also participate in the CAU Band year-round. Additional guidelines are outlined in the CAU Band Handbook.
3. When should I audition for scholarships? Please see the audition requirements on the "Join The Band" page and schedule your auditions as soon as possible with one of the following directors AFTER you have applied to the University: Professor Tomisha L. Brock (Director of University Bands) - email@example.com Mr. Warren Shaw (Associate Director) - firstname.lastname@example.org Mr. Torre Goodson (Assistant Director) - email@example.com Auxiliary members are not eligible for band scholarships UNLESS you play an instrument.
4. If I don't attend CAU but want to participate in the band program, is that possible? You must attend a college or university in the Atlanta area and give your schedule to a member of the band staff. For more details, contact Professor Brock, Mr. Goodson or Mr. Shaw. ***Students that do not attend Clark Atlanta University are NOT eligible for band scholarships or housing***
5. When are Essence and Silver Breeze auditions? Auditions for the 2017-2018 Season are complete. The next auditions will be held in the spring of 2018. Click the following link for more information: http://www.caubands.net/auxiliary.html 6. If I can't make it to Atlanta for an audition, can I still audition for a scholarship? We do musician auditions via Skype, FaceTime or YouTube. PLEASE apply to Clark Atlanta University prior to setting up an audition if you haven't done so already.
7. Are there other scholarship opportunities available? Please check out our new scholarship portal http://cau.academicworks.com for all other scholarships outside of band.
8. Do I have to major in music to join the CAU Band? Membership in the CAU Band is open to all CAU students, regardless of major. We do; however, encourage and recruit music majors. Membership in the CAU Band Program is also open to community college students with approval of the Director of University Bands.
9. When does the marching hand rehearse? The marching band rehearses from 5:30 - 8:40 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please note, that there is a mandatory study hall, held twice a week, from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
10. Is there a fee to participate in the band? The Band participation fee for the 2017-2018 academic year is $150 per student. This fee covers items band members will need for marching band, pep band, and concert band. Auxiliary units also have fees for items needed (ex: dance shoes, uniforms, etc.).
8. Are instruments provided? We encourage musicians that play small instruments to rent or purchase their own; however, we do provide a limited number of small instruments. The CAU Band Program supplies all of the larger instruments (i.e. sousaphones, euphoniums, etc.).